July 19, 2018

Which Window Stickers Scream 'Gun Inside' to Car Burglars?

Sergeant T. Parkerson of the Houston Police Department recently passed along some advice about reducing the risk of your vehicle being broken into by burglars.

car window stickers

Sergeant Parkerson posted on the Nextdoor.com app (may require log in), "Burglary of Motor Vehicle suspects were recently caught breaking into vehicles in what they considered to be an upper-scale apartment complex. Their objective was to locate and steal guns from vehicles they identified on the property. Their method for choosing which vehicles they would break into was to simply locate any vehicle on the property that had some form of Law Enforcement, Fire Department, or Military-style decal on it. From their experience, they [the suspects] have learned that these vehicles would have a higher probability of having a weapon in it that they could then steal."

A word to the wise. — Todd Woodard, Editor, Gun Tests Magazine

Comments (21)

I'm screwed.
Fire department, NRA, Black Rain Ordnance and American flag stickers.
My MAGA hat also hangs in the back window.
🤣😂

Posted by: firemanjon | May 6, 2019 10:15 PM    Report this comment

I find that it really does matter where you are located or where you plan on traveling to. I always take that into account especially if I am travelling into a democrat haven, or an impoverished area and then I will drive my "unmarked' vehicle. I still drive a pickup loaded with NRA stickers/decals and have done so for 20 years without incident. But that's primarily due to the fact that I'm living in a gun owner friendly zone. And no, I never leave a gun in the truck.

Posted by: gun_nut | March 20, 2019 10:52 AM    Report this comment

When I was living in NYC some (bad) years ago I was hit by burglars ELEVEN times! I was once broken into THREE TIMES in the same month! I once came into my Tribeca loft and there was a stranger on my sofa sniffing glue! I keep no indicators ANYWHERE (tee shirts, hats, car window/bumper, luggage) that indicate that I am pro Second Amendment or ANY political affiliation. Back in the early 1970's I had put a "Lick Dick in '72" bumper sticker on my VW Beetle and it was REPEATEDLY torn off with damage to my car. Protect yourself, protect your property and PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY - Let people wonder!

Posted by: Marine1276 | March 16, 2019 11:05 AM    Report this comment

If we act timid, and if we "fly below the radar," in order to protect against those who would make us afraid to be OUTSPOKEN, - in every way - , then we have acquiesced to the Pelosi's and Schumer's of the world. I have been a BIG bumper sticker guy for over 50 YEARS in the New Yawk city area of New Jersey. In that time I have had my vehicles broken into once and had one pro gun bumper sticker festooned Jeep pick up stolen. I rarely keep firearms in my vehicles. Maybe I've just been lucky the other times. I also wear a hat that says: "Make America a Shithole - Vote Democrat." I'm no hero, martial arts enthusiast and do not carry as I exist ( not live) in the People's Democratic Republic of Nu Hersey. I'm just an obstinate bastard who refuses to be stifled. There are too many graves with American flags flying over them for me to be shut up.

Posted by: DoNotBeAfraid | March 1, 2019 1:09 PM    Report this comment

In the early nineties, as a neophyte, I was advised by the old timers at the OC Sherrif's Range (these guys being about what my age now?) not to ever put a gun magazine on the seat, nor any NRA or pro 2d Amendment accouterments on my vehicle. It was good advice.

Not been broken into since I had a visible CB in the Chicago 'burbs 45 years ago.

Posted by: pcmacd | February 21, 2019 3:20 PM    Report this comment

Think I'll put a Democratic Party sticker on my truck here in Commifornia. It will be safe for sure then.

Posted by: socalcruiser | February 21, 2019 10:02 AM    Report this comment

A window sticker supporting our 2nd amendment is like open carry. It makes us a target. Stay low and be there when you are needed.

Posted by: rrunnels | July 20, 2018 7:56 PM    Report this comment

BMW = break my window !!! No identifying stickers on car !!!! DMD

Posted by: DMD | July 20, 2018 3:42 PM    Report this comment

I thank if you are dumb enough to leave something of value like a firearm you deserve to get it taken.

Posted by: Idaho | July 20, 2018 2:17 PM    Report this comment

Lived in Texas for the first 62 years of life and had a friend that had the best deterrent possible. He was FOND of Diamondback Rattlers and other lesser know venomous critters and advertised same with a stuffed diamond in the rear window. Visits to his office for the first time was always a treat for his secretary since he kept 15-20 LIVE venomous snakes in his office in glass aquariums with screen wire tops and how she reacted to the fright of the visitor was at times hilarious. Kind of caught me off guard on my first visit but then I had been to his home a few weeks before to see live critters making corners of his living room nesting spots.

Posted by: Carl Casino | July 20, 2018 1:06 PM    Report this comment

I never leave anything in my car that has value. We have a weekly police report in the paper and you would not believe the number of smash and grabs that involve guns, wallets, purses, check books, backpacks and the list goes on. One area is so bad that a co-worker leaves his car unlocked just so he doesn't have to keep buying glass.

Posted by: erlyirn | July 20, 2018 12:52 PM    Report this comment

I don't care, I poke them in the eye every chance I get. My guns are in a vault if left in the vehicles. Alarms on them as well. More often than not, the gun is with me.

Posted by: Deadeye Magoo | July 20, 2018 12:05 PM    Report this comment

Out here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, having an NRA or CRPA sticker on your car is a good way to get it keyed.

Posted by: rr750 | July 20, 2018 11:30 AM    Report this comment

I really hope some scumball follows me home and comes back to burglarize my house. It would save me having to feed my male (200 pound) and female (185 pound) tosa Inus that day. They don't like uninvited strangers, and watch invited people for any breach of friendly conduct. Sure my insurance is higher, but cheaper than alarms systems that don't stop a burglary, and I sure do sleep sound. If some one gets in their screams will wake me. My Tosas do not bark, they just wait to see what is going on and act on the facts.

Posted by: missourisam | July 20, 2018 11:01 AM    Report this comment

Pretty much anything that might intimate that a vehicle owner is firearms-friendly isn't good today. Not only is it an invitation to thieves, but an excuse for cops in unfriendly jurisdictions to stop you, and search your vehicle (or try to) -- which, if they were to find a gun, could land you in prison in some states.

Posted by: Bisley | July 20, 2018 10:20 AM    Report this comment

In San Antonio a few years ago we had a group that were checking vehicles with NRA, Texas Rifle Assn. and other stickers in the parking lots of grocery stores. When so identified, they would follow the vehicle home and set up plans to burgle the home later,
assuming a gun collection was inside.
It's a shame we can't visually support some of our favorite organizations . But it is what it is. Thanks for including this story to your other great efforts. Also, thanks for your article on gun insurance. It caused me to review my plan and make some significant upgrades.

Quisto

Posted by: basil karcher | July 20, 2018 9:43 AM    Report this comment

? Maybe a BERNIE sticker would convince them that you have no guns? The NRA sticker has long been considered an attractant. I had one on my old Ranchero-in the '80's, got broke into and I lost a Llama 45. I got away from the sticker ideology- political personal or whatever kind. If it ain't required by the state or Toll Tag-or gets me my car wash done...

Posted by: Fatboy46 | July 20, 2018 9:38 AM    Report this comment

That's odd, over the years it's been four times that our vehicle WASN'T hit along with others along Appalachian Trail parking lots.
I believe the "Glock" vinyl sticker on the window made them question the possibility of facing me in that lot.

We also noticed that those vehicles hit had the caps off their power ports, and figured the creeps thought a GPS or laptop may be inside.

Posted by: cerberus1 | July 20, 2018 9:21 AM    Report this comment

I'm sure the NRA sticker or any other gun club, shooting range or association sticker would draw attention.

Posted by: gun_nut | July 20, 2018 9:18 AM    Report this comment

How about NRA and other gun type stickers? I have some of these on my pickup and
never gave much thought that I'm advertising I might have a gun inside.

Posted by: Podman | July 20, 2018 9:06 AM    Report this comment

Not NRA? That's odd.

Posted by: jwash111 | July 20, 2018 9:04 AM    Report this comment

Add your comments ...

New to Gun Tests? Register for Free!

Already Registered? Log In